5.24.2010

I am Grasshopper

because I have much to learn. Sometimes a little sloppiness, a.k.a. unevenness, is ok. Like here:

© 2010 BJ Parady

On this piece, the unevenness looks fine. It adds interest and texture to what will be the background of the finished piece.

But other times the sloppy overcomes the texture, outcompetes for attention. As in:

© 2010 BJ Parady

I know I was in a hurry. The paint may have been too thin. I had been using those makeup wedges to apply the paint to the stamp, but I am out of them and used a brush instead. Did that make a difference? Don't know.

I do know that while I like parts of this piece from a distance, up close it has real issues. There are parts I'll be able to use, but it will only be useful if I learn something from it and don't repeat whatever mistakes I made here.

Sometimes the problem is just poor decision making:

© 2010 BJ Parady

Way too much pink. I might be able to save this piece by overstamping. Not sure it's worth the bother, but who knows down the line.

The lesson here? You don't jump from knowing nothing about a process to being an expert without some pit stops along the way. Sometimes I get lucky and can use the 'mistakes', make them look intentional. Sometimes they get put in the drawer of missed opportunities, waiting for a future salvation.





No comments: