4.22.2009

a place to dye

I wanted to try screen printing on my own, to see if I could make a space to do it in without making a big mess. My only real choice was a small area in our unfinished basement where the washer and dryer and laundry sink are. Here's the result:



I have the old countertop from our island on top of the washer and dryer. A drying rack on top of a shower curtain to catch the drips while the pieces dry. Thickening paste made. Dyes I want to use. Fabric made to size. Other supplies.

And two silk screens, one with a pattern made with soy wax, and the other with washable glue. Both tend to disintegrate while screening them, at least to some extent. Here's the results:



The result is that there was no big mess. There were a couple of drips onto the plastic below the drying rack. So I think I can pull this off, dyeing and screening in a small space. Is it optimal? No. Is it free? Yes. And that's a big deal.

Meanwhile, here's another picture of my new hero, my pal Buddy. Enjoying the midday sun, not a care in the world. What a way to live in the moment.



That is all.


1 comment:

kathy said...

Hey, where's the closeup? I can't see your designs....